Tuesday, January 08, 2019

DNA Segment Sources

Something to think about when you are trying to identify the source of matching DNA segments.


The connection shown in the tree above is that of the DNA match and how he is related to me.  His connection from his tree would show that it is thru his Paternal Grandmother's lines.  There is still a good chance that back beyond his 2nd Greats on his Paternal Grandfather's lines there might also be shared ancestry as well as in the other side of his PGM's family. His Mom is 2st generation American which makes a connection thru her unlikely but not impossible.  It's really necessary to evaluate each of the segments on their own.

The breakdown of what my Paternal Aunt, myself, and my siblings(full) share in common with the DNA match referenced in the above chart. 





6 comments:

  1. I love reading DNA posts. It's still so overwhelming to me, trying to break it all down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love DNA painter so I can visualize things that mathematicians can grasp in their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping to begin coloring my matches so I can determine, as you did, which branches of which trees belong to my "cousins." Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DNAPainter has a tree/DNA tool that you can test "hypotheses" for people trying to figure out how they fit into a family (like adoptees) BUT I used it to put one line's (my brick wall) DNA matches (and mine) to have a visual of how distant (or not so distant) certain matches are (and see the cM of DNA they share)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I am just now starting to get into the DNA side of my tree. What I have learned so far has been fascinating! But, I have to take it in small bites, or I get overwhelmed! Lol Thanks for the informative article! It is just the "small bite" I needed today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently new to DNA, I just jumped in with both feet. I too find it a bit overwhelming at times. Wouldn't you know, the one person who has a surname on their tree that is the reason I tested, is not answering my messages. Boohoo! I have at least one cousin on each side of my family that tested, so at least with shared matches I can tell what side they are on, even if they have no tree or don't reply. DNA Painter sure helps to see where everyone belongs.

    ReplyDelete