Tuesday, January 01, 2019

mtDNA results of my Paternal Aunt

I woke up to find that my Paternal Aunt's mtDNAFull test results were finished processing.  What a great way to begin 2019.  After reading over her results and her match list I did what I have done any other time that I get new DNA test results.  I work the closer matches.  Regardless of whether it's atDNA, mtDNA, or YDNA I build floating trees which contain the matches ancestors. YDNA and mtDNA matches may not connect with your line til back about 500 or even a thousand years but having the trees(Or the direct Father or Mother line for YDNA or mtDNA) of the matches will help you see how they connect with each other and sort new matches.  With mtDNAFULL,  I would only work with the genetic distance of 0-1.  In YDNA I use genetic distance 2 or less at the 37 & 67 marker and 0-1 at 111 markers.

My daughter had tested a while back so I had the mtDNA for her, myself and my Mom.  She had a backwards mutation which was present in the descendants of my 4th Great Grandmother's sister so I haven't felt compelled to test myself or Mom.

Dad's YDNA   R-M269 tested Y111 markers
Dad's  mtDNA   Haplogroup:  U3a1c
Mom's mtDNA Haplogroup:   H3-T152C!


The Y and mtDNA tests are at FTDNA and I purchased the autosomal tests there also for the ones who did the other testing with the exception of my daughter.  In her case, transferred her autosomal from AncestryDNA into the account at FTDNA in which she did the mtDNAFull test.

The research trees that I work with are all at Ancestry.  I have them set as private trees and selected the option that keeps them from showing up in searches.  I do have trees on FTDNA so that my matches can see my pedigree chart but I don't really add to them much other than linking matches so that they will sort out Paternal and Maternal.

I have trees named:

  • Y-DNA Cook(e)--This tree contains each of the closer matches for my brothers YDNA test at  37, 67 and 111 maker levels   For our family this is a group of Cook(e) men who are from the Shem Cook(e) and Amelia Co Virginia Cook(e)s the exception being a group of Patterson men who also match us closely even at 111 markers who likely descend from a Cook who was raised as a Patterson.  I note the  highest level of testing in the Suffix field and the Genetic Distance(ex.  First & Middle Name:  John F  Last Name:  Cook   Suffix:  Y67 GD=1)  While I do keep a spreadsheet with the closest ones I include as many as possible of those who have trees and check the hints to see if I can find additional information as we are still looking for the connecting generations despite knowing which group we most closely match.  
  • Dad's mtDNA Tree- this is the one I started on today including the matches of my Paternal Aunt's mtDNA who had trees available.  Of the 12 GD=1 matches about 7 of them did have a pretty good tree.  mtDNA surnames generally change every generation but I am finding names which I'm familiar with in the matrilineal lines of these matches(Deason, Sheppard, Rushing)  These are families that all travel together from Maryland on down thru the Carolinas with some coming thru Georgia and settling in Bedford Co TN and Lower Middle KY before moving on to other parts of the SE USA.  The matrilineal line for Dad and his sister was also a line that appears twice in their ancestors as they have pedigree collapse back at the 2nd Great Grandparent level.
  • Mom's mtDNA Tree--This tree consist of the GD=0 matches of my daughter. There is an unusually high occurrence of the Combs family in this tree.  My mtDNA goes from my maternal Grandmother's Hale line, on back thru Hitchcock, Fleming, and Combs.  My research on Nancy Combs Fleming has pretty much been at a standstill for a good while as I've not been able to find many sources though I do find lots of claims in online trees.  Like the names in my Dad's mtDNA tree, they seem to be repeating and could be people that the Combs and Hitchcocks traveled with coming South and West when the lands opened up.  
  • Paternal Line DNA Puzzles  --This tree contains the trees of matches that I have built out when I was studying a triangulation group at other sites or shared matches at Ancestry.  I can generally tell if a match is Paternal in that they won't match with my Mom's results.  She Tested at Ancestry but we have her file at MyHeritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch.
  • Maternal Line DNA Puzzles--I use the same technique described in the one above adding matches that are maternal for me and or my siblings.  Sometimes I will put the shared cM amount in the suffix field of the Puzzle trees.

This process works for me.  It might not work for everyone especially if you don't have many matches  but it does seem to keep me on track.  I hope you find this useful and I'd like to hear if you try it or if you have a process that helps to keep track of your matches and their connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment