During the early 1970s, my grandmother lived on North Charlotte Street in Dickson at 203 which she rented from the Sheltons. It was a duplex but she'd rented both sections. One of her neighbors was a lady named Mrs. Miller who taught music in her home. I knew the address and the surname but did not remember her given name or her husband's name. Her husband had passed before Granny moved to the house across the street. I went looking in the Dickson Co TN records
at FamilySearch and was able to find her
in the Tax books
that goes up to the year 1965(1962-1965 image 789 of 906.₁
After finding her in the tax list listed as Mrs. H. C Miller I was able to locate her and her husband in the 1950 Census.₂ In the census she was one of the people who were asked additional questions. She'd been married for about 26 years but gave the number of years married as 20 in the supplemental section. She did not have any children that I remembered and that was confirmed from her answer to that question as well.
Transcription of Wedding Announcement from Dickson Society Page of Nashville Banner.₃
Miss Nell Burgie of Dickson and Mr. Harold Miller of Nashville were united in marriage Tuesday evening(Aug 26th) at the First Baptist church parsonage in Nashville, the Rev. Dr. Dargon officiating. The bride is the daughter of J. B. Burgie of Dickson, and the groom is the son of the late William Miller and is an employee of the N.C. & St. L. railway. They went to Chattanooga for a brief bridal tour and will return to Dickson to reside.
Abstract of Death Notice ₄
Death Notices: Dickson, TN
Mrs. Nell Burgie Miller age 95.
Saturday, November 3 1989. Greenvalley Health Care Center.
Retired piano and organ teacher of Dickson.
Widow of the late Harold C Miller.
Survivors include her two nephews, Leslie W Stitt of Deerfield Beach FLA and Larry B Stitt of Amarillo, TX; several great nieces and nephews.
Funeral Services: Tuesday, November 7, 1989 at 3:30 pm from the Chapel of the Taylor Funeral Home with Warren Medley officiating.
Active Pallbearers: Jack Willey, Donald Weiss, Sr. Dr David Robinson, Rex Buttrey, Dr. Bill Jackson and Tom Woodall.
Honorary Pallbearers: Bro D Ellis Walker, Tom Davidson, George Nail, Bro Harley Buttrey, and all Former Music Students.
Interment in the Dickson Union Cemetery. Those desiring memorials may be made to the Dickson County Library, Services under the direction of Taylor Funeral Home Dickson, TN 446-2808
Nell & her husband Harold are buried in their lot at Union Cemetery which is located off of Charlotte Street. ₅ My father is also buried at Union Cemetery.
- Tennessee, Dickson County, 1831-1965; Browsable images. "County Tax Records, 1962-1965," image 789 of 906, FamilySearch. (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C39N-C419?i=788&cat=93578 : accessed 22 March 2023) FHL 497701, 1967.
- 1950 US Federal Census, Dickson Co. TN, Enumeration District 22-7, Household #218, sheet 18, Lines 26-27(H C & Nell Miller) 202 N Charlotte Street; U.S. National Archives, 1950 Census (https://1950census.archives.gov/search/).
- "Society in Neighboring Towns--Dickson," Nashville Banner, Sun 31 Aug 1924, p 6, col 6; digital images, Newspapers.com (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/121395792/marriage-of-burgle-miller/ : accessed 22 Mar 2023).
- Death Notices, The Tennessean, 5 Nov 1989, pg 33 col 4; digital images, Newspapers.com (https://www.newspapers.com : accessed 22 Mar 2023).
- Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/209149407/nell-burgie-miller: accessed 22 March 2023), memorial page for Nell Burgie Miller (25 Oct 1894–4 Nov 1989), Find a Grave Memorial ID 209149407, citing Union Cemetery, Dickson, Dickson County, Tennessee, USA; Maintained by bbarnhill (contributor 47395133).