Last week while I was scanning thru the Bedford Co TN Deed Books at FamilySearch for Jakes/Frizzell deeds I happened upon some from my Cook family. Posting the locations of the entries here so that they will be easier to find by other researchers who might find them interesting.
Bedford Co TN--Deed Book Entries
- Deed Book QQ pg 370 W C Cook to John W Maxwell Deed in Trust 100 acres more or less (Dec 1848)
- Deed Book QQ pg 371 W C Cook to Longshore Lamb and Athey Elmoore Deed in Trust(livestock and household furniture (Dec 1848)
- Deed Book JJJ pg 276 and 277 D C Jackson and James P Taylor to J K Cook 116 acres 32 square poles more or less (Nov 1872)
- Deed Book MMM pg 404 J K Cook and wife Emily C Cook to T C Gentry 8 acres more or less (Apr 1876)
- Deed Book NNN pg 297 J K Cook and wife Emily C Cook to Thos J Lamb 193 acres more or less (Nov 1876)
- Deed Book QQQ pg 19 and 20 J K Cook and wife Emily C Cook to Elijah Morton 45 acres more or less (Nov 1879)
- Deed Book QQQ pg 336 and 337 A Tucker to W C Cook (1873-1881)
- Deed Book QQQ pg 338 and 339 J K Cook and wife Emily C Cook to Cass Cook Bedford Co TN Dist 10 65 acres more or less (Oct 20 1880)
- Deed Book TTT pg 360 E. A. Morton and wife L.E. Morton to Cass Cook Bedford Co TN Dist 10 45 acres more or less (Sep 15 1884)
The A.Tucker to W C Cook deed mentioned that it was the same land from the Chancery Court case of Anna Putman and others vs Wm G Hight and others. It didn't mention the time period but I was lucky enough to find an index within the pages of digitized microfilm from the Bedford Co TN Chancery Court Minutes which showed the page numbers for 3 entries concerning this case.
Mar. 1871 - Oct. 1872 (2nd Book on the roll of Microfilm)
- Book pg 201 and 202 Images 440 and 441 of 638
- Book pg 217 and 218 Images 448 and 449 of 638
- Book pg 347 and 348 Image 513 of 638
The 3 entries provide a bit of additional information about what happened to the land. After the death of William Putman, the land was sold by William's son, David Vance Putman I need to transcribe the Minute Book entries. The writing is a bit hard to read but it does give some more detail about the lands and dates of sale prior to it being purchased by A Tucker.. I've got a copy from the will of Jabel Putman(Father of Wm Putman & Elizabeth Putman Cook) which drew up how his land would be divided among Jabel's heirs.
You'll need to be registered and logged in to FamilySearch.org
but registration is free. From the above direct links to the Bedford Co TN Deed Book listing you should be able to find the book you want along with a clickable camera icon for the roll on which. You will likely need to scroll to find it. Once you find the film that book is on, you can browse to the page you are looking for or in the case of the Chancery Court Records I have provided the image numbers. When I am looking for records that I might be interested in reading thru I do a search of the catalog by place and note that I want o view those which have images available online. .