Saturday, December 29, 2018

2019 Opportunities--My wishes for the New Year

In the 1990s, I had a boss who was fond of saying, "We don't have problems.  We have opportunities."  As we approach 2019, I've made a list of opportunities for myself and other areas in my genealogy life where I'd like to see improvements.   This is just me "blue-skying"

Improvements I'd like to make for myself in 2019

  • I'd like to try and improve my focus on my research.  Why is it so easy to get sidetracked?
  • Identify the unknowns in my old family pictures.
  • Stay in contact with cousins and share more info about our families.  I'd like to make sure that my cousins have copies of the family photos and I hope they will share with me.

Improvements I'd like to see elsewhere in 2019

  • More researchers blogging about their ancestors.
  • Local Genealogy Societies having ScanFest to preserve local pics.
  • County Genealogy Societies having membership drives & making more of an effort with an online presence which is what it is going to take to interest the younger generation and survive.
  • More Genealogy Webinars from State Societies for both members and nonmembers.
  • An increase in the number of documents available for ordering from State archives via index and online purchases.
  • The above would also be great at the Federal level and a decrease in the price would increase the demand.
  • A new messaging system and username directory at Ancestry that actually works.    
  • Better communication for all.  Family Stories within our families(so much oral history has been lost), DNA match communication, and communication between fellow surname & locality researchers.
May we all have a BLESSED new year full of all the answers we seek.



No comments:

Post a Comment