Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Akron-Summit Co. Public Library(OH)

I've been working on a FAN research project today which led me to seek out records from the Akron-Summit County Ohio area.  Let me just say how wonderful it is to see a Special Collections department that has so much on-line for those interested in the local history.  The Akron-Summit County Library  has a wonderful Database section.  The range of dates which are covered by the City Directories they have available on-line is so very impressive and was so helpful in my search for information from the 1940s & 1950s.

The Date Range:  1859-1969
Information Included:  Names, Occupation, Place of Employment, Home Address
Information about businesses, city and public school officials and a vast assortment of items that changed to adapt to the times(think postage stamp cost or notary public listings)

They also have an obituary index from which you can order copies.  Digital(free) or copies by mail.
I only wish I had ancestors from that area.




No comments:

Post a Comment