Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Top 5 of my Top 5 Resources.

This is a listing of the top 5 of each of the top types of resources I use in my research.  Some are for educational services and organization while others are more record content focused.  I do also have memberships in Virtual Genealogical Association, TN Genealogical Society, Middle TN Genealogical Society as well as the local Dickson Co.(TN) Historical & Genealogical Society.  What are your favorites of each of these categories?

1.  Blogs--Most of these blogs I read using Feedly.  I do quick reads of the blogs of the major Genealogy Database companies to keep aware of new record availability.
  1. Kitty Cooper's Blog
  2. Genealogy Tip of the Day
  3. The Genetic Genealogist
  4. Behold Genealogy
  5. DNAeXplained
2.  Podcasts: Search For and Listen to them via Google Play, Apple Tunes, Spotify or your favorite podcast listening app.  I usually listen to these podcasts using Google Play on my phone.  If I"m listening from my Desktop PC I use Spotify(basic). 
  1. Generations Cafe
  2. Genealogy Guys
  3. Research Like a Pro
  4. Genealogy Gems
  5. Genealogy Happy Hour

3.  Webinars--There are many sites that offer webinars.  Some are free for a limited number of days or to attend Live with registration.  After the free period, they require subscriptions or membership to access their entire library.  The majority of the webinars I attend are free with registration.  These are such a great resource.
  1. Legacy Family Tree Webinars
  2. Southern California Genealogical Society and Family History Research Library
  3. Georgia Genealogical Society
  4. Illinois State Genealogical Society
  5. Utah Genealogical Association

4.  YouTube Channels--A lot of the channels I used to watch are kind of dated now so I've listed below the ones that have current content and I'm always looking for more that would be helpful in all areas of genealogy research.
  1. Blaine Bettinger
  2. Ancestry
  3. FamilySearch
  4. GeneaVlogger
  5. Allen County Public Library

5.  Subscription Services--These are the services that I feel offer the most value to my research.   You list likely will vary.  The DNA tool sites aren't overly expensive but Ancestry and Newspapers.com can be.  I only purchase subscriptions when they are on sale and I don't combine the two because normally the two sale prices are cheaper than what a combined price would be.
  1. Ancestry.com
  2. DNAgedcom
  3. GEDmatch Genesis
  4. Newspapers.com
  5. DNAPainter





No comments:

Post a Comment