Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Luranie Jane Cook Williams Death Record

Against all odds, I found the death certificate of Luranie Jane Cook Williams, sister of my Great Grandfather, William Green Cook. I'd never actually seen the copy of the certificate though I'd visited where she is buried and seen her stone.  My clues were from the Index although the index listed Puruline as her Mother's name and lists the burial place as Rees.  It's actually Rover on the certificate with the actual cemetery name not included. I was not expecting her to be in Davidson Co.TN. Neither the Tennessee, Deaths, and Burials Index, 1874-1955 or the Index of the TN Death Records 1908-1958 was in agreement on all the information I had but they were both close enough that I knew I needed to check the original record
The incorrectly transcribed items are noted with an arrow and the corrections are shown in RED.  Her gravestone lists the year of death as 1923 which added to my confusion.



Luranie's brother, Gideon Cook is the informant for the information on her death certificate. He was a Civil War Veteran, a Veterinarian, and known as "Dock" Cook. I believe that Gideon's family must have always referred to W.C. Cook as Clifford Cook because he is listed as C Cook here and on Gideon's Death Cert as Clifford Cook.

Her husband George W. Williams would die 6 months later(July 1924) Luranie & George are buried in the Simpson Cemetery in Rover, TN. Luranie has always been hard to find because her name is never spelled the same consistently. Even the Cook researchers never spell it the same. How do we ever find the documents we need. Persistence!


No comments:

Post a Comment