Sunday, July 28, 2024

4 Ways to Make Genealogy Part of Your Kindle Library


I recently purchased an Amazon Kindle e-reader.  I've used the Kindle app on my phone and computer but I'm new to the Kindle e-reader and wondered how I might incorporate my genealogy research into my Kindle Library. These are the four ways I have found to do that so far. 
  1. Public libraries may offer ebooks for checkout through an app such as Hoopla or Libby  Sometimes there are genealogical or historical ebooks available to borrow which allow reading via Kindle. Take advantage of this if your local library offers one of these services.
  2. The ability to take notes and highlight as you read a book is a great feature.  The notes are saved to your device even if you remove the book.  You may also email these notes to the email address associated with your Kindle.
  3. The most obvious way is by purchasing ebooks on the topic of genealogy.
  4. Files or documents can be sent to the Kindle. This can be accomplished in several ways:  

    • Using a USB Cable and file explorer on your computer to drag and drop files
    • Emailing the files to your Kindle's email address(found on the device under all settings  or at your Amazon account under device management--Preferences and Personal Documents) There are size and document type restrictions   
    • Using Send To Kindle from your account or the app 
      From the Send To Kindle page, the current size limit is 200 MB
      Supported File Types: PDF, DOC, DOCX, TXT, RTF, HTM/HTML, EPUB, and most image file types.  
Type of documents I send to my Kindle
      • Genealogical Course Syllabi
      • Family Tree Reports
      • Ongoing Research Reports
      • Genealogy Quarterlies
      • Articles I've Written About My Research
      • Timelines

No comments:

Post a Comment