Friday, July 26, 2024

Jones & Williams DNA cluster--PGF


A cluster of autosomal DNA matches shared with descendants of Wm C Cook & Elizabeth Putman is all descendants of John William Jones & his wife Lydia Williams.  As shown in the above image the DNA matches are from 4 children of this Jones & Williams couple.  The connection is at least a generation before John W or Lydia given their ages and from what I know with my research in the ancestry of my paternal great-grandfather, Wm Green Cook, where it most likely connects.  There are also descendants of Jabel Putman & wife Nancy in that cluster who have connections.  Putman and Tylers were from SC which is also the place of birth given for John W Jones in the 1850 Census  I've yet to figure out the connection between the two groups but do have a WATO tree ready at DNAPainter when I get the opportunity to explore things further.  In addition to writing notes on this cluster within the match list group, I have also charted some shared amounts between cluster members in my Google Sheets account. Ancestry recently added the ability to see shared matches of matches and their shared amounts as part of their ProTools Addon subscription.  This feature helped verify that my placement of those matches was correct within the Jones and William tree.



The amount of shared centiMorgans that my 2 siblings and I share with 20 of the Jones & Willems descendants ranges from 0-52 cMs.  A Cook/Putman cousin who is one generation further back shares in the range of 21-77 with the same 20 Jones and William descendants.

See the chart below made by inputting the range at DNA Painter.  It shows the relationship possibilities.


The 20 Jones and William descendants are through 4 children of John William Jones and Lydia Williams.  Oliver John Jones and his sister Leone Jones married Gafford siblings which would make their descendants double cousins to each other but shouldn't inflate the amount for the Cook & Putman connections. 

I would love to hear from any of the descendants of John & Lydia.

No comments:

Post a Comment