Sunday, November 26, 2023

Testing tasks using ChatGPT 3.5

I've been experimenting with ChatGPT today. I tried testing it to see if I could get it to automate some tasks for my research.  I fed it my outline of the George Solifelt Pension file.  It had an error occur after getting a little over half way thru the 7 page outline which I had copied and pasted into the chat.   I was using ChatGPT 3.5 and I haven't upgraded to a paid version because I can't justify the expense for something I rarely even think of using.   I reviewed the timeline that it had generated to that point and it appeared to start hallucinating and repeating one of the names mentioned as the person associated in all generated text after that point.  There may be a better way to do this in this version that would produce the desired results.  Upgrading might also produce better results. 

Another task I tried was asking it to list the names of persons mentioned in the text and how many times they appeared.  While it did a much better job of gathering George's FAN club from this outline it did not include every name but did make me aware that it hadn't included every name.  

For me it would have probably been just as fast to extract this information myself since doublechecking the results is a must.  

I do like how AI can help with indexing even if it requires human verification. That alone in the FamilySearch search experiment (no longer active search) back several months ago helped me to find documents that I'd I would not have found so quickly.  I would love to see that return given that the current search is broken at best there.  



I do plan to try and read up on using ChatGPT and catch a few webinars and YouTube videos that might be helpful in getting them to work for me.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Dear Marie,
    Do you ever review books on your blog? If so, I would be happy to send you free examination copies of some of our recent titles. Among them are DNA for Native American Genealogy, by Roberta Estes; Generation by Generation: A Modern Approach to the Basics of Genealogy, by Drew Smith; and the New Pocket Guide to Irish Genealogy, by Brian Mitchell. Please let me know if you are interested. You can reach me at jgaronzi@genealogical.com

    Best wishes,

    Joe Garonzik
    Marketing Director
    Genealogical.com

    ReplyDelete