Saturday, November 30, 2019

Browsing FamilySearch records that aren't indexed

I'm blogging about this because I've had people ask me how to find county records available online specifically those that aren't indexed and won't appear in a search. 

  • Visit FamilySearch
  • Log onto your free account(create one if you don't already have one)
  • Select Search
  • Select Catalog from the Search Menu
  • In the Place input box enter a location of interest(see below)
  • Select Online from Availability Section in Left menu
  • Click on Search Button




Search results for your location of choice should look similar to the ones below. Click on the + sign to the left of the Record Types to expand and show contents.  The number in parenthesis and to the right of the Record Type is how many different sets are available under that specific type.



Click on the name of one of the records sets to see any of the film listings that have been digitized.
I'm going to select the Deed books 1814-1896.




When I select the  Deed books 1814-1896. it expands to show me the listing of filmed records available from that category  If there is a camera under the Format column you will be able to view it online from any place you like.  Some digitized records can only be viewed from a Family History Center or have other limits on viewer access.  If there is limited viewer access there will be a key logo directly over the camera.  




I chose the first film on the list and it is shown in the screenshot below in grid layout.  I use the grid layout to help when trying to find an index on the digitized images. This reminds me of when I first started researching in 1990.  I would browse rolls of microfilm.  Technology has really made some advances.  This is a lot easier than that.  No need to rewind the roll of microfilm.  😁  

This film appears to have an index at the first part of the filmed book.  




I browsed to the "R" section of the index and found several Riddles mentioned there.  See highlighted sections in the image below.


I note the page number of each of the entries and "flip thru the book" image by image until I find the pages that were listed in the index.  This can be tricky sometimes but the more you do it the more you will get used to it.  After awhile it almost becomes second nature.  I hope you find this helpful.   FamilySearch is adding records pretty much on a weekly basis so you will want to check back often.  Happy Hunting!



No comments:

Post a Comment