Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Letter from Fruit Valley, TN on Ebay

While searching Ebay for items of interest, I found a listing for a letter sent from Fruit Valley, Tennessee.  The Fruit Valley Post Office existed from June 1877 to August 1905.  Fruit Valley is of particular interest to me because it is the place of birth of my paternal grandfather, Thomas DeWitt Cooke(1888-1971).  The sender, P.G. Lamb,  likely knew my Grandfather and my Great Grandparents(William Green Cook & Jane Bell King Cook).

The letter was addressed to Globe Printing Company in St. Louis Missouri.  A keyword search at Newspaper.com found that the company had many ads in papers all over the United States.  Some ads were seeking agents to sell publications while others were advertising subscriptions to the Globe Democrat.  The seller didn't mention the contents other than to imply that it was from 1895 so I'm not really sure what the letter contained.  They did mention that the letter was opened.

With community names like Haunt Hollow, Lamb Bottoms and Fruit Valley, what's not to love. I've visited there several times and hope to again.  It really is beautiful country.


No comments:

Post a Comment