Tuesday, August 27, 2024

W B Jakes To E.P. Leach--Feb 1925 Bedford Co. TN



Bedford Co TN Trust Deed Book 32 p 527
FamilySearch, Digital image IGN 008568252 Image 621 of 655
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C3QY-X9CT-7
Accessed 26 August 2024

W B Jakes To E.P. Leach

Property used to secure the note: 
1 bay horse 8 yrs old 15 1/2 hands high and worth $200
1 light bay horse 7 yrs old 15 hands high worth $200
1 McMurray Rubber Tire Sulky worth $100
1 Joy Cart and harness worth $30

Said Property is located at my place of residence on the old Sherrin farm in the 7th district of Bedford County Tenn. 

Stipulation: 
The transfer or removal of said property from this county makes this mortgage immediately due.

This trust is made to secure said E.P. Leach for one note of this date for $125 and due Dec. 15--1925. and signed by W B Jakes, James Jakes, and John L Jakes.  Now if I pay said sum or sums as they mature, then this deed is to be null and void, but if I fail to pay said sum or sums above mentioned at maturity, then the said E. P. Leach may take immediate possession of said above described property, and is hereby empowered to sell the same either privately or publicly and pay the expenses of the deed first; second, to pay said note above described, and a reasonable attorney's fee if placed in the hands of attorney for collection, the balance to me or my order.

This 4 day of Feb 1925

My thoughts:  
I discovered this Trust Deed using the Full-Text Search at FamilySearch.org.  The summary and the transcription offered up in the side panel were riddled with errors so I didn't include it in this post. I am glad to have found this.  I plan to look at that period in Will's life and determine what was happening. 
I love seeing what my Great Uncle Will(W.B. Jakes) owned and it's an added bonus that in the process of giving the location of the property used to secure the note, it tells where he lived.
John L Jakes who signs is Will's brother, and James Jakes is their father
E P Leach was a merchant and carriagemaker who lived in Rutherford Co TN.  I believe this is why the heading says Rutherford Co TN immediately before this deed in the book.  To me, that would mean the deal was made in Rutherford but the property that secured the note was in Bedford Co TN(Will's county of residence.  Could this also be recorded in the Rutherford Co TN Deed books...I'll have to check that out.

McMurray Sulky Co.--From the Detroit Public Library Digital Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment