Thursday, June 22, 2023

Checking in: A Few Thoughts on Various Genealogy Topics

I am thoroughly enjoying Legacy Family Tree Webinar's Best of ESM Series which is a perk of their webinar membership.  Each lecture is thought-provoking and motivational in so many ways it's hard to explain.  That said, I'm not going to try but I will recommend that you look into a webinar membership to have access to that series and many more wonderful webinars.  There are so many opportunities for education when it comes to genealogical research methodology and techniques--many of them free.  Just Google your interest.

I've also been revisiting some of the record books from my earlier research armed with my more recent discoveries. Names of previously unknown ancestors and family associates help to pull things together and provide a clearer picture of our family stories.

I also need to revisit the YDNA results of my Cook(e) line.  My brother tested for us and over the years I upgraded it to the BigY.  If only YDNA testing was as popular as autosomal testing.  The cost is what prohibits many from testing. Hopefully that will change and more folks will want to have representatives from their family lines test--especially some of the more common surnames doing that. This would be a good way to prove or disprove a lot of the older research where DNA testing was not available as evidence.  In the Cook(various spellings) YDNA project we most closely match descendants of Shem Cooke of Amelia VA and later of Granville Co NC.  Our group is Rlb and is broken down into further grouping however there is a group of testers who also claim descendance from that same Shem Cooke who are J2.  One of us is obviously wrong (or there is a split after Shem maybe?) but which one remains to be seen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment