Monday, February 07, 2022

Where was Mom & her family in 1950?

I'm using maps to locate where my mother & her parents were enumerated in preparation for the release of the 1950 US Federal Population Census.  I'm fortunate that my Mom is still living and I was able to ask where her family lived in 1950. Mom said they lived "on C P Moore's place."  I found the location on Google Maps.  In another streak of luck, the road is named after C P Moore.  My next step was visiting the National Archives website and looking at the 1950 Enumeration District Map for Van Buren County, Tennessee.  

This is a rural area so even if the index doesn't catch the name, reading thru the district won't be too bad. This is especially true since I'm kin to almost all of Van Buren County residents at least once and in some cases thru multiple ancestors.  


Sources

Enumeration District Maps-Tennessee-Van Buren County. Enumeration District and Related Maps, 1880 - 1990.Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 - 2007. National Archives, College Park, Maryland; digital image, National Archives (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/44271012 : accessed 7 February 2022).

Image:  C.P. Moore Road, Rock Island, Tennessee; Map data ©2022 Google (https://www.google.com/maps/ : accessed 7 Feb 2022).

No comments:

Post a Comment