Sunday, August 30, 2020

Thomas DeWitt Cooke--TN Delayed Certificate of Birth

I looked at the Delayed Certificate of Birth of my paternal grandmother in my previous blog post and wanted to see how my paternal grandfather's delayed certificate of birth compared with his wife's certificate.  He filed for his in the summer of 1951 and Pearl filed for hers at the end of the same year. While they both used their children's birth certificates as evidence, they did not use the same children.  I'm not surprised that neither of them used their son's death certificate as a supporting document of evidence.  

The documents used in Thomas DeWitt Cooke's application were:

  1. Original Death Certificate of his father, William Green Cook.
  2. Original Birth Certificate of Child--Billy Joe Cooke(my Dad) 
  3. Delayed Birth Certificate of Sister--Eliza Amacy Cook Rowland
  4. DuPont Employment Record


I was glad to see Fruit Valley listed as his birthplace.  The Fruit Valley P.O. existed from 1877-1905.  The back section of this form was blank as there were no witnesses used in filing this form.   I would love to see his DuPont Employment Record.  So far no luck with that.  I did contact several people including the Hagley Museum which holds the majority of the Dupont Company's items that are available to the public.  Employment records aren't one of them but I still have hope that the ones from Old Hickory will one day be donated to TN State Library and Archives if any do still exist.

Do you have ancestors who may have filed for a delayed certificate of birth in Tennessee or elsewhere?  What documents were used by them to support the date of birth, place of birth,  and names of their parents?  

Source:  

Ancestry.com. Tennessee, Delayed Birth Records, 1869-1909. Database with images.  Ancestry http://www.ancestry.com : 2012. Imaged from Tennessee Delayed Birth Records, 1869–1909. Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment