Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Will of John R Cook Wake Co. NC

Will of John R Cook Wake Co. NC 
Written March 3rd 1816 Proved Feb Term 1817

In the name of God amen I, John R Cook of Wake County and state of North Carolina being in a low state of health but of sound and perfect mind and memory blessed be God do this third day of March in the year of Our Lord One Thousand eight hundred and sixteen, make and publish this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say first I recommend my soul to God who gave it me and my body to be decently buried at the discretion and my friends and executors. Secondly I desire all my just debts to be paid out of my estate. Item I give and bequeath to my nees(sic) Glophoria(Gloria?) Northern Cook daughter of Brother Joseph Cook two Negroes one a Girl by the name of Ruth and the other a Boy by the name of Ben to her and her heirs forever to remain in the hands of my executors and to be hired out till she comes of lawful age. Item I give and bequeath to my nephew John Hopkins son of Willie? Hopkins one negro boy by the name of Ned to him and his heirs forever to remain in the hands of my executors and to be hired out till he comes of lawful age and all the rest of my estate I desire shall be sold and after paying all my just debts the balance to be equally divided between my two brothers and one sister to wit Lemuel Cook, Joseph Cook, and Gilly Hopkins and I hereby make and ordained my worthy friends John Jenkins and Edward Tansil executors of this last will and testament in witness whereof I the said John R Cook have to my last will and testament set my hand and seal the day and year above written Signed Sealed publish and declare by the said John R Cook the testator as last will and testament in the presence of us who were present at the time of signing and sealing thereof

John R Cook (Seal)

(Witnesses)
Joel Farguson
Lydia Clifton
Jn Davis

From Cover Page
Wake Co February Term 1817
The within last will and testament of John R Cook was in open court duly proven by the oaths of John Davis and Joel Farguson, witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded
B.L. King CC

Recorded in Book O and page 208
B.L. King CC

Ancestry.com. North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line images 726-728 of 1929] Wake  >  Original Wills, Cameron, Francis Hawks - Dupree, Obidiah P
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/9061/
Will of John R Cook of Wake Co NC date 1817

Marie's Notes:

Please see original as this may contain errors and some liberties were taken with the formatting to make it more readable
While not mentioned in the will of John Cooke of Wake Co NC(1814), he does mention his siblings and those siblings are listed as the children in the will of John Cooke of Wake Co NC(1814)  Edward Tansil's family came to Weakley Co TN area in 1825.  One of his descendants was a publicity director at UT-Martin a job from which he retired after 20 years in the early 1970s.

I've seen John R Cook listed as John Rucker Cook in a few family tree files but no source or document listed so it could just be an assumption of what the middle name may have been.

Given the niece's name from John R Cook's will(written 1816) it's possible that Joseph(brother of this Lemuel) could be the one who married Tamar Northern in 1803.  That would make the niece up to about 13 possibly? 

No comments:

Post a Comment