Monday, July 13, 2020

Will of John Cooke of Wake Co NC date 1814

Will of John Cooke of Wake Co NC date 1814
Written March 22nd 1814  Proved May Term 1814


In the name of God amen John Cooke of Wake County North Carolina being of sound mind and memory blessed be God do this 22nd of March 1814 make and publish this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say

First I give to my beloved wife Hannah Cooke,  my Negroes-- Dinah, Pompey, Willis, Tom, Ily, Arington, and Joe also my right in land whereon I live together with Smith and Burnett tracts during her life that is to stay the land for life the Negroes to dispose as she might think properly

Item two I give to my wife all my perishable estate after paying all my just debts out of it
Item three I give and bequeath to my son Joseph Cooke my negro girl Nelly as a special legacy.
Item four I give and bequeath to my daughter Gilly Hopkins and her heirs my negro girl Abby and my will farther is that my wife make my children equal in number of Negroes and of equal value as near as possible and that the special legacy given to my son Joseph shall not be considered in the aforementioned dividend but as an extra legacy and I hereby make and order my beloved wife Hannah Cooke, Lemmuel Cooke, Joseph Cooke executors of this my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this day and year first above written.

John Cook (Seal)

signed sealed and published by the testator in presence of us
Witnesses:
Hugh Goodloe
Moses Winston
Benj Boon

Wake County May term 1814

The foregoing last will and testament was in open court duly proven by the oaths of Henry Goodloe and Moses Winston subscribing witness has thereunto and order to be recorded in the clerk's office of Wake County in book M page 238 June 4th 1814

Ancestry.com. North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line images 722-725 of 1929] Wake  --  Original Wills, Cameron, Francis Hawks - Dupree, Obidiah P
Will of John Cooke of Wake Co NC date 1814
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/9061/

Marie's Notes:  Please see original as this may contain errors and some liberties were taken with the formatting to make it more readable

I believe this is John Cooke, husband of Hannah Winston.  This John is thought to be the son of Shem Cooke(d. abt 1796 in Granville Co NC)  More research is necessary.  I have a few more wills of this John Cooke's descendants which I will try to get on the blog as soon as I can.  Adding the witnesses to  "FAN club" for John Cooke.

No comments:

Post a Comment