Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Record those events and names from the more recent past

When we are researching, I think sometimes we forget to record and research things we remember from our earlier childhood.  I know I'm guilty of doing that.  Perhaps we think that information will be readily available later.  What if we are wrong?  This past year I contacted the Register of Deeds here in Dickson County Tennessee to inquire about the house which my Grandmother, Pearl Jakes Cooke had rented.  My Mom was fairly sure that it was owned by the Sheltons which the clerk confirmed.   I had also remembered the neighbors.  I've written notes in my Grandmother's file about her neighbors.  Checking with the Deeds office and also consulting online tax records helped to get a picture of who her neighbors were and also who owns the homes today.  Having the listing of the neighbors to verify what I remembered from my childhood helped as I was going thru my Grandmother's papers.  As I was recording and preserving ephemera I was able to identify people who had sent postcards and written notes and zoom in on a time frame because I knew the years she had lived at that address.

Don't assume that those records will be available when you or your family decide they are important.  Go ahead and record them now.


See also:
March 31 1891-Birthday of Pearl Gray Jakes Cooke
Just a Small Portion of a Family's Paper trail


My Grandmother in her yard at 203 North Charlotte St Dickson TN  abt 1973.
The houses across the street are still pretty much the same thought
they show the signs of age.


No comments:

Post a Comment