Wednesday, June 08, 2022

James Jakes Death Notice(1941)

 

I'd written a blog post about finding my great grandfather's death notice in the Tennessean back in 2017(see post) Today I found a death notice in the Shelbyville paper.  The Tennessean had gotten several of the daughters names wrong.  Cora Gibson was printed as Mrs. Coy Gibson and Lula Gibson was shown as Mrs. Luke Gibson.  They also spelled my grandmother's married name as Cook instead of Cooke.  The Shelbyville paper got the names correct except for my Grandmother's married name.  They put Gibson instead of Cooke.  I think it's worth noting that this happens more than we realize.  I've even seen people who have been dead for almost 20 years listed as survivors in their sibling's death notice.  I've made a note on the image of the death notice below.  You should be able to identify these errors as you are researching because you will have multiple sources and you will need to evaluate the sources and the information contained in them.


Source:  "James Jakes, 84, Retired Farmer Dies in Nashville" The Bedford Co Times, 19 Aug 1941, p. 1, col. 2; digital images, Familysearch.org (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-B3T3-QZR9?i=706&cat=483088 : accessed 8 Jun 2022).

No comments:

Post a Comment