Sunday, September 17, 2017

August 1941--Shelbyville Man Dies in Local Hospital


I found this article using Newspapers.com.  It is the closest thing to an obituary that I have been able to find for my paternal Grandmother's dad, James M Jakes.  He was living with my Grandparents in Old Hickory(Davidson Co. Tennessee) in the 1940 US Federal Census. I do have a copy of his death certificate which shows that he is buried in Willow Mount Cemetery in Bedford Co TN.  For whatever reason, his death year was never placed on his gravestone.   I should also note that there are several errors in the survivor listing.  Two Sons:  Will and Euless Jakes Four Daughters Mrs. Tom Bell, Mrs. Cora Gibson, Mrs. Lula Gibson, and Mrs. Tom Cooke.


Source: 
"Shelbyville Man Dies In Local Hospital"
The Tennessean, 15 Aug 1941, p. 15, col. 6 & 7; digital images, Newspapers.com (https://www.newspapers.com : accessed 16 Sep 2017).

2 comments:

  1. I am compiling a family tree for my friend and I believe this is her 2nd great-grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was my paternal grandmother's Dad. I know a good bit about the Jakes family having researched it for almost 30 years you can contact me at my gmail address if you'd like. rmbeckman@gmail.com --Marie

    ReplyDelete