Sunday, February 04, 2018

AncestryDNA Matches Inventory--2nd & 3rd Cousin levels

I did an inventory of my top matches at AncestryDNA just to see how many of my matches who are listed in the groupings as 2nd cousins or 3rd cousins had uploaded to GEDmatch.  I also wanted to get an idea of which group was testing more and an idea of where there are some opportunities.  Ancestry doesn't have a chromosome browser and likely never will, so if I'm wanting to identify any segments matches with those who match me there I must ask if they will consider uploading to another site which accepts transfers or to GEDmatch.  MyHeritage just recently released some new tools which include a chromosome browser so that is now a new option when looking at segment matches. 

Inventory & Analysis of 2nd & 3rd Cousin Group Ancestry DNA matches

Total of 25 matches(excluding immediate family)

PGF- Paternal Grandfather
PGM- Paternal Grandmother
MGF- Maternal Grandfather
MGM- Maternal Grandmother

2nd Cousins(Total: 4)
3--MGF
1--MGM
None at GEDmatch

3rd Cousins(Total: 21)
7--PGF
2--PGM
11-MGF
0--MGM
1--Both MGF & MGM
8 are at GEDmatch

Even though there are several I cannot positively identify I am able to tell which Grandparent connects our families.  eventually, maybe the 4 closer cousins will upload.  I've contacted each of them.  Just a waiting game I suppose. 

Observations
Over half of those who have uploaded to GEDmatch are from my PGF's line.  I wish I had more from my MGM's line who have tested. There are some further out in the 4th Cousin Grouping and I'm thankful for that.  I have the most work to do on her lines, especially her Hale line.  The Pittmans of my MGF's line LOVE to test at Ancestry(I'm guessing for ethnicity as that line has Native American) but they do not love to upload to GEDmatch.  There are close to 20 kits(some in 3rd and more in 4th cousin group) from the Pittman/Adcock and Pittman/Hatfield lines which would be a great study in a chromosome browser.  I am lucky to have so many of my 3rd or closer cousins testing. Colonial Ancestry on both sides with virtually no ancestors immigrating after 1800 likely has a lot to do with that.

If you have tested with AncestryDNA, can you group your Top 25 AncestryDNA matches into 4 groups?  Even if you have unknowns this is doable.  It's the approach I use when helping adoptees who don't know ANY of their grandparents.  Use the Shared Matches tab to help do this.  The DNAgedcom client will also help if you have access to it.  You would need to download your ICW spreadsheet and look for each of those top 25 matches.

No comments:

Post a Comment