Overwhelmed with the amount of matches lately but today I took the time to work the Shared Ancestor Hints and noticed this.
The match in question is genealogically a 5th cousin which this should show. It's really not thru any fault of Ancestry that it isn't showing correctly. I believe that it's actually caused by the match's entry for the husband of Annie Rice. We both have the husband as James Hatfield but the middle initials are different for each of us and the other tree has him living over 40 yrs more than what I have in my tree. That difference likely caused the comparison tool to think it was comparing two different Annie Rices. I did check the shared matches and they are my Pittman/Hatfield cousins. I think the DNA may actually be thru the Hatfield line on this one or there may be different shared segments of DNA among all of us and part may be Rice...some Hatfield and maybe some Pittman. Be prepared to investigate and see what is causing things of this nature. Triangulation is necessary if I want to be able to mark the matching segment and assign it to a specific ancestor or ancestor group.